Building or Renovating

Building Permits

Whether you are a building a new structure or making changes to an existing one, adding a fence, upgrading electrical work, installing a new air conditioner or hot water heater building permits are required. Below is a road map of questions to help you through the process:

  • Building a new single family residence? 
  • Making changes to an existing structure, residential or commercial? Regardless if you are a homeowner or business, depending on the changes you are making, a permit will be required. Please contact Community Development to have us help you through the process.
  • Changing out an Air Conditioner, a Building Permit application needs to be filled out plus, the the required HVAC Change out form.
  • Changing only the signage on a business? 
  • Are you adding a new roof, or going over the existing, you need a building permit and you must follow the current Florida Building Code.

Any construction over $2500.00 requires Notice of Commencement (NOC) and Inspection Requests. For changes to an existing structure, there are required forms that need to be filled out and  may vary depending on the renovation. It is strongly suggested, when doing renovation type work, that you contact the Community Development staff, so that they may help guide you through the necessary paperwork to help your business get off to a good start.


Impact Fees

Building new structures, as well as renovation work which changes a buildings use, can be subject to an Impact Fee charge. You can call the Community Development Department at 352-726-3401 and we will be able to assist you to figure out these fees.