Whispering Pines Park
Facilities Available: See Park Map
|Looking for a park with free admission and fun for the whole family? You need not look any further than Whispering Pines Park. This 290-acre park complex, located only minutes from downtown and nestled among pine and hardwood trees, boasts active recreation in a pristine setting. Take a tour.
Located off Forest Drive, the park is open 7 days a week, excluding Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. Hours are 7:00am to 10:00pm daily. Get directions to Whispering Pines Park.
- Picnic Areas-shaded under our stately oaks.
- Butterfly Garden-planted with native butterfly plants to attract a wide variety of winged beauties. Bring your camera.
- Children's Playground - Bring a picnic lunch shaded tables are close by,
- Water playground - "Puddle in the Pines"
- Swimming Pool - Be it structured lessons or just play, this Aquatic facility has it all.
- Tennis, racquetball and basketball courts, along with athletic fields are all free of charge. Courts are lighted for evening play.
- Walking, hiking & mountain biking trails - Learn more about Trails to a Healthier You.
- Disc Golf - An 18 hole frisbee-type golf course winds its way through the trees and hills of the park. Discs, score cards, map and information about the game are available at the Administration building or at the pool during public swim hours.
- Dog Walking trail - Dogs are welcome on the Perimeter Trail, as long as they are controlled and on a leash, for these same trails are used by walkers & bicyclists. Pet owners should also come equipped with plastic bags for cleaning up after their pet. Dogs are not allowed at any other location in the park. If you are seeking a location where your pooch may run and play, we suggest Bark Central Dog Park (341-2275) on Turner Camp Road.
- Classes/Clubs & Programs at the Recreation Building - Instructor led classes are available throughout the year, as are various meetings of local clubs and organizations.
Rentals & Reservations at Whispering Pines Park
Facilities at City parks are available on a "first come/first serve" basis; however, specific areas can be reserved for group functions. Rent a pavilion for your company picnic, family reunion or birthday party. It's a great way to enjoy the outdoors.
Reservations should be made as soon as possible. In order to accommodate reserved events, a minimum of one week notice is required. Contact the Whispering Pines Park Office by calling (352)-726-3913 for availability. Once availability is confirmed, an application to lock in the date is to be completed.
- A Group picnic area is available that includes, grills, tables and a covered pavilion that may be reserved.
- The Large Pavilion, adjacent to the children's playground is available for private rentals at a cost of $30.00 to reserve half or $75.00 for the entire pavilion. Large parties of 50 or more will be required to reserve the entire pavilion.
- A Green Shade Structure, adjacent to Puddle in the Pines splash park, will accommodate about 30 attendees. Times and prices are as follows.
- 9am -12:30pm - $30.00
- 1pm - 4:30pm - $30.00
- 5pm - Dusk - $30.00
- Youth Camping Area is located on the north side of the park and is available to church groups, scouts and boys and girls clubs.
- The Recreation Building, air conditioned and heated, can best host indoor party needs. While there is not a full kitchen, a sink and countertops will accommodate bringing in food to serve your guests, as well as electric plugs to handle crock pots or warmers. There is no refrigerator. Grills are not permitted in this area. The building will accommodate about 50 people and includes tables and chairs. The rental fee is $75 for 3 hours with an additional $10 per half hour if you need to party longer. Set up and clean up time is allotted in addition to your reservation time. The YMCA Summer Camp is held in this building from June - August. The building is not available for rental during the camp.
Facilities are also available for reservation at Liberty Park
and Wallace Brooks Park